Re-routed cover from Augsburg

• Hi Sylvain,

you got a nice letter, first of all. It shows perfectly, that after January 1st 1868 redirected letters did not cost any postage more for their 2nd trip, so 3x were enough for both distances (Bavaria - Bade and Bade internal).

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello BK

I take note about that time frame which is well shown on that letter. I did try to find the BAHNHOF AUGSBURG 1 cancel in SEM but no clue at all.

Thanks again

Best regards

Sylvain

• Hello Sylvain,

I know this one from 1867-1871, may be even later.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello BK

If I look the letter, am I right by saying the letter when through normal post office to the train station and then to BAD?

(I found this thing by browsing the net well installed in my tree waiting for white tail deer :) the only catch I had.loll)

Best Regards

Sylvain

• Hello Sylvain,

Augsburg was a bit special with its 2 post offices. Until 1850 the main post office was situated in Augsburg City. Then things changed there and the main post office came down to the station of Augsburg, whilst the post office in the city became a dependance of the station post office.

When letters were given to the city post office, that left Augsburg, they were carried with wheelbarrows down to the station office (main office) and given to the post officers there. So all the letters from that time on show (or should show) the handstampl of AUGSBURG BAHNHOF, when they were discharged in Augsburg.

Hope that helps you a bit to understand the local situation.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph