Frankreich - Wurttemberg

• Hello everyone!

I do not see anything here from France to Wurttemberg, so I thought I should remedy that! :)

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken in any of my description.

This letter has an "OR" marking Origine Rurale and was posted on April 21, 1858 at Nogent in the Haute Marne department in France. It is unclear how it got to the Paris to Strasbourg train. I assume it would have gone to nearby Chaumont and then by train to Bar le Duc and on to Strasbourg. But, no rail marking is on the item to confirm this. So, I suppose it could have gone by mailcoach or other ground method to Nancy.

This crossed the Rhein at Kehl and then boarded the northbound Course 6 train in Baden at Appenweier (EB Apr 22 CURS VI). It then crossed into Wurttemberg at Muhlacker, receiving the train 11 handstamp (K Wurtt Fahrend Postamt Z. 11 Apr 22). Cannstadt is just northeast of Stuttgart.

The D4 Apr 22 marking is one I am not certain, but I presume it is a Stuttgart carrier or substation marking? I should know this, but cannot remember at the moment.

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

30 Centimes = 20 C. for France and 10 C. for Bade, as Wurttemberg never had a postal contract with France, but Bade had contracts until 1871.

D 4 / 22.4. meant Distribution 4 at the 22nd of April. They ususally started at 8 in the morning and ended at 7 in the evening, so the 4th distribution should have been in the early afternoon (may be around 3 o´clock in the afternoon).

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Ralph,

Danke! An excellent explanation of that marking. I found my old notes and they simply said "distribution marking" which does not give me much to work with. :)

With this rate, it is my understanding that the French portion was rated at 7.5 grams and the Baden portion at 15 g (1 loth).

That would make for some interesting multiple rates - something for me to look for! :)

Best,

Rob

• Correct - it was a bit difficult for heavy letters, as the rates differ a lot, depending on the quarter ounce or the Loth (about half an ounce). In the early times recommended letters doubled the taxes and this was even more difficult for the post officers.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.