USA - Preußen

• Hello everyone!

I do not see a thread for mail from the United States to Prussia, so I thought I would add one here.

Here is an example of the 28 cent per 1/2 ounce rate from the United States to Prussia. This 1866 letter was carried on the HAPAG Line's Teutonia and was offloaded at Southampton and taken to Ostende, Belgium. The 7 cents passed to the Prussian mails covered the Prussian internal rate plus 2 cents for the Belgian rail transit from Ostende to Aachen.

Best,

Rob

• ... plus fancy cancels as the highlight of this letter. :love:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Greetings everyone,

Here is a letter from Cincinnati, Ohio in the US to the Rhineland. The rate was 28 cents at the time this was mailed, but 30 cents were applied to the letter. There was still confusion about the rate because two were listed in the postal tables. 30 cents for unpaid letters per half ounce and 28 cents for pre-paid letters per half ounce. Prior to 1861, the rate had been 30 cents, which as another reason many people overpaid the rate.

Have a great day.

Rob

• Hello Rob

Pälzer would love to have this one in his collection, as he collects this part of Bavaria from 1849 to 1920 and your letter is beautiful.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Arg! Bavaria it is! I was in such a hurry this morning that I did not double check the scan I chose.

Sorry. :)

I'll be embarrassed all day long now. :S

I'll try to look and find the scan I wanted to show....
    Ah.. .so this fall's into Tim's specialty! :)

Rob

• Here - I show this item instead.

Kurnik was a Polish town that was inside the borders of Prussia at the time this letter was sent.

It shows the properly paid 28 cent rate from the US to Prussia via the normal route through Ostende and Aachen.

I shall try to say nothing more about it for the moment until I have more time to check what I am saying. :D

Rob

• Dear Rob,

very nice items, but why I have to wait so long for your USA - Wurttemberg letters? ;)

Grüße aus Bempflingen
    Ulrich

Das Leben ist zu kurz um sich darüber zu ärgern, was andere über dich denken oder sagen

also hab Spaß und gib ihnen etwas worüber Sie reden können

scheinbar ist ihnen ihr eigenes Leben zu langweilig

• Ah.. .so this fall's into Tim's specialty! :)

Rob

Hallo Rob,

...into a very specail speciality 8o...simply because my humble self was born in Frankenthal / Palatiante, because you today can find the vinery Herkelrath in Obrigheim / Palatinate, whose chief is the local chairman of the farmers` associaton...

https://www.weingut-herkelrath.de/

...with whom I often have to do because I work for the agricultural administration in this area.The world is that small ^^

Best regards !

Tim :thumbup:

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

• I am re-showing this letter from New Orleans in the US to Kurnik, by Posen. Then, in Eastern Prussia, but a Polish community.

It pays 28 cent per 1/2 ounce rate via Prussian Closed Mail.

I am wondering if someone can help me with the blue and red pencil markings found in the center of this envelope.

I thought, at one time, that the blue word was just "Orleans." But, I had no idea why it would be written there. Now I doubt myself.

Also, I see the red pencil markings and wonder if this is some internal accounting. But, that makes no sense to me.

Thought welcome on this.

Rob

• Hello nordlicht,

Danke!

Yes, that makes more sense than any other explanation I was coming up with! :)

I am not used to seeing that sort of docket on that area of a cover, but it fits perfectly.

Rob

• Hallo Teddy,

lief mit der Bremen Mail in der 4.Tarifperiode (ab 15.8.1853): 10 Cent für USA, Seetransport und Bearbeitung in Bremen sowie 5 Cent im DÖPV.

Viele Grüße
    nordlicht

• Hallo Nordlicht,

wer ist hier "DÖPV" und kassiert die 5 Cents?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hallo Ralph,

Post nach Preußen müsste über Hannover gelaufen sein, also 5c für Hannover.

Werde heut abend mal genauer nachlesen.

LG

Christian

• Hallo Michael,

da gab es einen Vertrag von 1846 zwischen Hannover und Bremen, indem festelegt wurde, dass das hannoversche Postamt in Bremen die Post nach Preußen bekommt ( und z.B. auch in die südlichen Länder).

Dies war ein Ausgleich für Bremerhaven, einem Hafen auf ursprünglich hannoverschen Gebiet, der von Bremen errichtet wurde, aber auch nach Errichtung von Hannover umgeben war.

Also ungefähr so, Ihr (Hannover) gebt uns Bremerhaven und lasst unsere Post über hannoversches Gebiet laufen, dafür bekommt Ihr die Post von Preußen, Bayern, TT, Württemberg etc. und kassiert die 5c Eingangsporto.

LG

Christian

• Vielen Dank für die Antworten. Leider kann ich den Brief nicht datieren, hinten ist nur die Ausgabestempel 9/4 7-9 V in grünlich blau. Kann mir einer sagen ist der grill über die ganze Marke oder nur in der ovalen Hintergrund des Bildes zu sehen? Demnach wäre es die 1867 Ausgabe.

Teddy