USA - Preußen

• Hello all!

Here is a letter from the US to Prussia in 1864. 28 cents to pay the rate per 1/2 ounce was applied to the envelope and it was treated as fully paid.

The interesting point about this one is it took much longer than most letters from the US to Prussia for that time period. It turns out that the Saxonia, the ship that carried this letter across the Atlantic Ocean, was damaged in a gale, which delayed the mail it carried.

If you would like the full story, go to this blog post.

I note that the postal marking on the back looks a bit like a Thurn and Taxis marking to me. I also know Bingenbruck or Bingen would be a border town at a key river crossing. Was Munster near Bingenbruck actually in Prussia at that time? I need to dig into an old map and have not done that yet!

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

Wonderful letter, interesting to read each and every word.

The letter went to Bingerbrück and then to Bad Münster am Stein-Ebernburg (unfindable when you don´t know it).

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello everyone!

Here is a letter that shows the 28 cents per 1/2 ounce rate to Prussia via Prussian Closed Mails.

I believe the destination is Barwitz, which I believe is now in Poland. Those who are more familiar with the language and geography can feel free to correct me!

I am curious about how this addressed. I can read "Lieutenant von Thiele" but that is about all I can figure out given my limited ability with the language. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it.

Also, I am curious if there is anyone that can help me identify Lieutenant von Thiele with some basic information.

Hope everyone is well!

Rob

• Hello Rob

hope yor are well, too.

The address shoul be:

An die verwitt(wete) Obrist Lieutnant von Thiele

g(e)b(orene) Freiin von Stosh

hochwohlgeboren

in Rawitz

Herzogthum Posen

Europa.

To the widowed Lieutenant Colonel von Thiele

born Baroness von Stosh

high-born

in Rawitz

dutchy Posen

Europe.

In the old times letters to women had to show the name and the status of the husband.

The correct name of our widow is "von Stosch":

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stosch_(Adelsgeschlechter)

I didn´t find Oberstleutnant von Thiele, but I am sure, others will find him, as it was a high ranking officer.

Rawicz is now a small town in Poland.

Rawicz – Wikipedia

Thanks for showing your beautiful letter - hope we can date it together.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Ralph,

This is wonderful! Thank you very much.

I've got the dating in my notes. I'll report back once I am where I can look at them. The addressee was the last piece of information I needed.

Best,

Rob

• I realized I never did fill in dates for those who are curious.

New Orleans, Louisiana June 25, 1866

New York June 30

North German Lloyd ship New York

Southampton July 11

Aachen July 1? (probably July 13)

Ausgabe July 14 (Barwitz)