USA-Grossbritannien

• ..oh gottogott, was ist das schön !

Viele Grüße

vom Pälzer 8o

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

• I am glad you liked that one. That makes me want to share another for those who stay up late or those who get up early.

This is from the same correspondence. Clearly the Honorable Mr. Bacon was careful opening and caring for his letters!

This one is special because it went to England after he left for home. It was sent back to the United States unpaid. At that time, payment could be made either using precious metal based currency or paper currency - which would require more because the paper money value was depreciated.

This is the only example I have uncovered so far of an item getting returned to the US from the UK that received a depreciated currency mark.

Gute nacht!

Rob

• Hello Rob

I love this letter! :love::love::love:

If I was you this one would become my burial object. :P:P:P

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von bayern klassisch ()

• ... each letter is an optical stunner ... please continue showing us your superb letters till the end of time ...

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Let me end the week with a favorite item in my collection.

This was an attempt to pay 5 times the 24 cent rate to Scotland. However, the rate increments followed British rules.

24 cents for the first 1/2 ounce

48 cents for over 1/2 ounce up to 1 ounce

48 cents for each ounce beyond that.

Since partial payment was not allowed, the item was treated as entirely unpaid and 6 shillings were required to receive this piece of mail.

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

another lovely item - what does 126 in blue mean?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hello Ralph,

6 schillings due = $1.44 in postage in the US. This was sent by US contract ship. For each rate, 5 cents for US surface mail and for each rate 16 cents for sea conveyance.

6x5 = 30

6x16 = 96

added = 126 = $1.26 debit back to the US from UK.

I am glad you asked.

Rob

• I´m glad you made me smarter. :thumbup::thumbup:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• For a period of time, an additional 5 cents was required for items mailed from the West Coast of the US to the United Kingdom. This requirement was no longer in effect on July 1, 1863.

This additional rate is an oddity in that it applied to mail to/from the UK, but not France, German States and it did not appear to be added to mails going through the British Postal System to or from other destinations.

Have a good weekend all.

Rob

• Hello Rob

did you lovely letter pass Panama?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph