• ... with letters like yours every Thursday gets much better ... :):)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Here is a short paid letter to England.

Any letter not fully prepaid was counted as unpaid under the conditions set out by the convention. This item weighed more than 1/2 ounce and as much as 1 ounce. It required 48 cents in postage, but only 24 cents were supplied.

2 shillings were due on delivery. This went by an American Packet, so 42 cents (21 pence) was required to be returned to the US to cover postage - thus the 42 in black.

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

I think that both are adorable items - could become a nice exhibition page, eh? :thumbup::thumbup:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• ... wonderful - you are a lucky sod! :)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Tim,

Very glad I could help.

Ralph,

Lucky, yes. And, probably just determined more than anything. For many years, all of my collecting money went ONLY to these types of items. And, I was very good at finding things for less money because I studied the subject very carefully. Several came from the early days of ebay - that was a good time to get started on this - so very lucky that my timing was good.

The RA letter was an ebay find. The 5 times 24 cent cover was also ebay as was the letter returned to the US. I got that letter and the other letter from the same correspondence in the same ebay lot for much less than I would spend if it were in a named auction. finding such things for less money in ebay is much less likely now.

Rob

• Tim,

Your question is encouraging me to finish a post on mail between the US and the United Kingdom that is similar to this one for US and France. I will post it here when it is completed. I also have one for US and Switzerland, but I need to update it. :)

Rob

• Hello Rob

same here - only a few phantastic letters per year suit to my collections. Must have been much better in the early years of eBay.

When you find interesting letter from or to Bavaria 1806-75, that you don´t need, just tipp me off. :)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Ralph,

I will do so.
    I have not been as good at telling others about things as I should - so I will work to improve on that. :)

Below is a properly paid letter with 48 cents postage for the second weight class level (over 1/2 ounce up to 1 ounce). 6 cents are passed to the British post office because it was sent via an American Packet.

I wonder what I will show tomorrow? :)

Rob

• Thx Rob for your service.

Those handstamps look quite atavistic ... :)

This is your show here - nobody here can be in competition with you, that´s for sure. :P:P

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Today we get to look at a cover that attempted to pay a "triple" rate. The weight was likely over 1 ounce and no more than 1 1/2 ounces. The sender figured that 24 x 3 = 72 cents should be enough.

Unfortunately, the rate progression was actually this:

up to 1/2 ounce - 24 cents

1/2 to 1 ounce - 48 cents

each additional ounce - 48 cents

So, anything over 1 ounce up to 2 ounces would cost 96 cents.

That means this envelope was underpaid. And anything underpaid was treated as unpaid.

As a result 4 shillings were due from the recipient.

• Hello Rob

It would be interesting to see, if the receiver wrote a letter with an angry content back to the sender, because he had to pay a lot of money. I owe quite a few letters with such a content and I am happy to have them.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• As of April 1, 1866, the US and UK agreed that they would change the rate structure to a rate of 24 cents per 1/2 ounce. That means cases like the one above no longer happened.

This is an item that weighed 1 to 1 1/2 ounces and it cost 24 x 3 = 72 cents to mail. This change in the rates was effective until the treaty, that had been effective since the late 1840s ended on Dec 31, 1867.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Rob

• Hello Ralph,

I have often wondered this as well. Unfortunately, most trans-Atlantic letters with the 24 cent stamp have had content removed and i am guessing the same is true for those coming back to the US from the UK.

The vast majority of letters were light enough that this was not an issue, only requiring the first rate - so it would take some time for the complaints to be enough to cause change.

Rob

• Hello Rob

I think that we have to differentiate between private letters and business letters; private letters with more to pay handstamps were accepted the way they came in, but letters of businessmen could have caused a problem and the additional charge could have been subtracted from the bill.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph