USA-Grossbritannien

• Thanks Rob - a nice mourning cover (I like those letters, other collectors like them much less, but I don´t care). :)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Here is an item to Scotland with a steel blue shade 24 cent stamp.

The tear on the envelope doesn't help, but it is much harder to find Detroit and Chicago transit markings. The vast majority of letters in the 1860s to the UK from the US went through New York, with Boston a distant second. Philadelphia, Chicago and Detroit follow in that order. I'm not as certain where Portland (Maine) would fall on that list. It's an ongoing question that I have not yet resolved.

I hope you all have a good remainder of the day.

Rob

• Hello all!

I am glad people are enjoying seeing these.

Here is an item that was successfully sent to London and then was remailed to France. Baring Brothers paid the 4 pence for forwarding. It was not uncommon for a person traveling to secure a line of credit. In addition to providing that line of credit, mail handling services could also be acquired.

I hope everyone has a good week!

Rob

• Hello Rob

carry on showing those letters and you´ll make my week. :love::love::love:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Here is a fun item that was sent, like the others, from the US to the UK with a 24 cent stamp to pay the rate to get to London.

Apparently, the initial delivery was misdirected based on the red circle cut into wedges. The letters in that marking MWDA stand for Missent Western District Afternoon Service.

The item was remailed through France to Baden which would have been 8d per 1/4 ounce.

It is not perfectly clear to me that this was prepaid to the new destination.

There is a Baden receiving marking on the back and nothing more.

Have a good day all!

Rob

• Hello Rob

beautiful and very interesting letter. I love it. :love::love:

The French accepted it as correctly paid for them and so did Bade (the destination is Baden Baden today). The rate for letters from France to Bade was 3 Kreuzer per 1/2 ounce (= 1 Loth), from Strasbourg to Baden Baden, but those 3 Kreuzer do not appear, despite the fact, that there is no P.D. handstamp on the frontside. I suppose that all those unknown markings caused them not to tax the letter. Just very interesting but this could happen to letters from far over the ocean that touched a couple of countries. Lovely. :love::love:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hello Ralph,

Thanks for the comments.

My instinct told me it must have been treated as prepaid from the UK. But, as I say, no real indicators to prove it. However, it helps to know this pattern happens at other times too.

Below is another cover to England. The Hudson correspondence is one that has been used by those who study the 24 cent shades as examples of some finer shade distinctions. It took me a while, but I finally managed to acquire a couple from that correspondence over the past few years. Here is the first of the two that I have been able to add to the collection.

Rob

• :love::love:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hello all!

It is likely that I will not be online tomorrow - so here is an offering for tomorrow's posts.

This is an example of a letter sent from the US to the UK and then remailed to France with 4d in postage paid with stamps. The four penny reds were placed over the 24 cent stamps and an individual prior to me folded back one of the penny reds to show the 24 cent stamp.

I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Rob

• Hallo Rob,

it seems, that you get loads of such dream-letters in a wheelbarrow.

If just one of them falls down I`ll be happy to catch it. ^^

Joking aside: It`s a pleasure for the eyes, thank you very much for their presentation.

Best regards!

Tim

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

• Ah... I could not leave you without something for Wednesday - so I present another cover to you. :)

Eventually, the "wheelbarrow" will run out. But, not yet!

This is a favorite of mine because there is something special about it that is hard to see. And, because it was hard to see, I was able to afford it - others did NOT see it. :)

yes, it is another cover from the US to England. It has the 24 cent stamp paying that postage. It was also remailed in England with a 1d stamp paying that postage.

The most interesting aspect of this cover is the Chicago marking. For a brief period, Chicago used special letter abbreviations. Note the "RA" in this blue circular marking. Work by excellent philatelist Leonard Piszkiewicz has come to a conclusion that I think likely - and I am awed that he uncovered the information he has. Chicago was struggling to deal with the returned dead letters and thought that additional markings might help locate the origin of items returned. The "RA" on this cover likely referenced "Randolph Station" in Chicago. Some time ago, Len confirmed for me that this is the only known 24 cent cover with an example of the Chicago initials and one of only a couple that went to an external destination.

Have a good day all. I'll try to have something for you on Thursday as well. :)

Rob

• ... eyechatchers alltogether. Love them and miss them until Thursday! :love::love:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• ...ahh, one showtime after the other, will have chips and popcorn for it on thursday too 8o Just a little question to the 24 cent-rate: 5 cents us-inland-fee, 19 cents credit for the british paket, but all the 19 cents for sea-fee ?

Best regards

Tim :thumbup:

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

• Here is another 24 cent cover from the US to England. I thought I would show this and answer Tim's question at the same time.

The 24 cent rate was split as follows:

5 cents for the US inland postage also known as surface mail

16 cents for the sailing packet that crosses the Atlantic

3 cents for the British inland postage

If a British packet carried the mail, then the British would receive 19 cents of the postage and the US retained 5 cents.

If an American packet carried the mail, then the British would only receive 3 cents.

So, this item has a "paid 19" on the exchange office marking. This means the US should credit the British post with 19 cents to cover sea postage and British inland postage.

I hope that helps clear it up. :)

Rob

• And here is a cover showing a 3 cent credit.

This item went through the Chicago exchange office and then sailed via the Allen Line - which had a contract with the Americans.

This item was mailed in Davenport, Iowa. While it is the same state I live in, Davenport is still over a 2 hour drive form my farm.

I hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Rob