USA-Grossbritannien

• Hello Rob,

thank you for your additional information.

I tried two years ago to find without success in the online archive of the state department some traces of BF Stevens to understand better his link with the government. But your idea about the telegraphic transmission is a very good hypothesis.

Lets try to find more….

Martin

• Hello all!

Here is another 24 cent cover from 1865 to the UK. There is not much that makes this item stand out from the others except for two points.

1. The content uses a technique called "cross-writing." The author of the letter first wrote in the normal orientation on the page, then they turned it 90 degrees and continued with the letter. This is the only time I have seen this with the trans-Atlantic material I collect in the 1860s. This is not surprising because the majority of the postal history items I find do not have content. This blog post has more information.

2. It is interesting because this item is part of a correspondence that includes another VERY interesting item that I will show in the next post.

Best,

Rob

• Here is the second item from the correspondence.

This item is extremely interesting to me because it bears the marking Southampton Packet Letter. The marking is not something that I have found before during this period for a pre-paid letter from the US to the UK. Dick Winter also agreed that this is a very rare occurrence.

Because the addressee lived in Southampton and the letter arrived on a ship at Southampton, this was a rare moment when the Southampton exchange office actually processed a foreign letter from the US. The other letter from the prior post took a ship that went to Cobh/Queenstown and not Southampton.

Have a good day all!

Rob

• Hello Rob

Nice to read you again (after harvesting your fields I think) and to see 2 beautiful letters.

The cross-writing was not very common here, but from time to time one can find a letter with this special.

I can remember a few letters dating in the first half of the 19th century with a double cross-written content, which made it impossible for me to translate them (written horizontal, vertical and with 45 degrees fom Bavaria zu Switzerland).

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello all!

Here is a letter that was sent after the rate change January 1, 1868. The cost of a simple letter decreased from 24 cents per 1/2 ounce to 12 cents per 1/2 ounce. So, this is a double-weight letter with a 24-cent stamp on it. One clue about the date is the wording of the exchange marking that says "Paid all." Starting January 1, 1868, the US and UK no longer worried about putting the credit and debit markings on each letter. Further, they no longer worried who had the contract with the shipping line. The costs of the crossing were now held by the sending country.

Have a good day all!

Rob

• Hello Rob

the exact date was written on the left side of the cover: 29. September 1868.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hallo Freunde

Ich habe hier einen Brief wo ich eine Frage zu die amerikanische Gebühre habe.

Es ist einen Brief der in der "Retaliatory Period" geschickt war.

Geschrieben ist der Brief in Boston 5. september 1848 und wohl erst 6. september mit Britannia nach Liverpool geschifft. Da ich keine postalische Vermerke von USA sehen kann, nehme ich an dass der Brief direkt am Schiff geliefert ist. Wie viel hat der Absender dafür bezahlt? War es auch 29 Cents?

Der Brief landete in Liverpool und ist 20. September weiter nach Annan in Scotland geschickt. Dort kam er 21. September an. Dort hat jemand 1 Shilling für den britischen Anteil bezahlt, aber der Empfänger war offenbar nicht in Annan. Gleicher Tag ist der Brief weiter nach Glasgow an eine c/o Adresse geschickt. Die Weiterleitung ist mit 1 Pence frankiert.

Viele Grüsse

Nils

• Guten Morgen,

einen unterfrankierten Brief nach England zeigen aus dem Jahr 1924. Adressiert nach Italien, nicht zustellbar, daher Weiterleitung nach Frankreich, auch hier keine Zustellung möglich, daher Weiterleitung nach England... Die englische Adresse ist dann auch durchgestrichen und auf der Rückseite eine Adresse in den USA vermerkt...

• Hi Rob

Fantastic. Now I can find out a lot more of this interesting time.

Best Regards

Nils

Der Unterschied zwischen Theorie und Praxis ist in der Praxis grösser als in der Theorie.

• Hello everyone!

I realized I haven't shared anything for a while. So, here is a cover that shows the normal 24 cent rate for a simple letter from the US to the UK. There is not too much special about the postal history, but the cameo design is quite nice!

Have a good day everyone!

Rob