Spanien-Italien

• Hello everyone!

Here I have an item dated June 5 1872 from Barcalona to Genova in Italy on June 9 of the same year.

The route is clear to me. It went via La Junquera/Le Perthus and followed the old Roman road along the coast, crossing the French/Italian border at Menton/Ventimiglia.

The item is marked as paid as it has a 200 mílesimas de Escudo adhesive. I have yet to find an agreement for this period between Italy and Spain. Was this sent by mediation through France?

If so, I presume the rate is per 10 grams or 15 grams. Does anyone have the date period this rate was active or could someone point me to the proper agreements?

thank you.

Rob

• Rob,

You keep me busy! ;)

Here the postal treaty Spain-Italy of April 4, 1867, which came into force on July 1, 1868, applies.

Letters to Italy via France cost 200 mílesimas de escudo or 50 céntimos de peseta per 10 grams. Letters to the Papal States cost 250 mílesimas de escudo or 65 céntimos de peseta per 10 grams.

If you like, I can send you the original contract as PDF (Italian!). Then I would need your email address. The file is too big for the forum as an attachment (4,5 MB).

• Ralf,

I suspect you do not mind being busy when it comes to postal history! :)

I send a personal message to you with email.

Many thanks!

Rob

• I assume the postal treaty was then superseded by the General Postal Union after 1875 - like so many other agreements of the time.

R