Brief von Portugal nach Stockholm über Preußen und Dänemark - 1857

• Guten Morgen, ich schreibe auf Englisch, weil es besser für mich ist.

Official letter (exempt for territorial tax due to the SNR and mark from Conselho de Saude Pública) sent from Lisbon, Portugal on January 29, 1857 to Stockholm. Transit mark from Badajoz in blue where it was placed in closed bag and dispatched via France and Belgium. “VERVIERS / 8 2 1 / COELN” trilinear mark in red and Boxed mark SPAIN also in red.

In Prussia, written in the back 8 Sgr for an unpaid letter coming from Portugal via Aachen up to 7.5g according to the postal convention between Spain and Prussia (4 Sgr for Spain, 3½ Sgr for France plus ½ for Belgium).

Then eventually, 3 Sgr added for transit in Prussia for a letter going to Sockholm, according to postal convention between Sweden OR Denmark and Prussia, resulting in 11 being written in the front.

Circular mark from Hamburg (8.2) and KDOPA / Hamburg (9.2). At the destination 1 Riksdaler written in the front, top left corner.

The circular mark in Hamburg is from February 9, 1857. At that time, the seaway was closed which means the letter had to go via Denmark and could not go direct from Stettin to Stockholm.

According to the postal convention between Prussia and Denmark (1853) a letter to Sweden by land would have a Denmark transit share of 2 Sgr and Sweden share of 2½ Sgr ie, a total of 4½ Sgr.

So, my question at the moment is if 15½ Sgr (11 Sgr + 4½ Sgr) would be equivalent to 48 Skillings (1 Rds)?

Or where I could find primary sources of information about the exchange rate between Sgr and Skillings around this date?

Danke

• Hello,
    If I understand your question correctly, you refer to the Swedish currency?
    Nevertheless the Swedish Riksdaler was not equal to 48 Skilling (Banco) and in 1857 there was no Skilling any more (1 Riksdaler = 100 Öre).
    Regards,
    nordlicht

• Sorry, but I have to correct what Nordlicht said. The currency Öre was introduced in 1858. As this letter was sent in 1857 the currency in Sweden was still sk.bco. The exchang rate between Silbergroschen and Skilling banco was about 1 : 2.84.

Kind regards

Theo

• No problem, but according to my information the decimal system was introduced in 1855. A short look into different internet sources seem to confirm it. Nevertheless I do not know it for sure.

• Apart from the letter shown above I know of further letters dated 1857 which were charged in Rd and Skilling. From my point of view the currency Öre was only introduced in 1858.

By the way: The exact exchange rate quoted by me as 1 (sgr) : 2.84 (sk.bco) was in practise rated as 1 : 3.

Kind regards

Theo

• Gutten Tag!

Vielen Dank für die Kommentare

I believe at this date the Skilling was still used at least on international letters but I still don't have a source to corroborate this information.

Other than this, anyone knows the rate from Hamburg to Sweden at this time in Swedish currency?