• Hallo Sammlerfreunde,

passend zum Thema zwei Briefe (1855 u. 1857) aus Bayern nach Brescia in der Lombardei.
    Zufällig sind beide Briefe vom gleichen Absender und auch an den gleichen Empfänger in Brescia gerichtet.
    Es wurde aber jeweils ein anderer Leitweg in Anspruch genommen, was zu unterschiedlichen Kosten führte.

Brief aus Fürth vom 17.9.1855, frankiert mit 12 xr (9 xr DÖPV und 3 xr Transit durch die Schweiz) nach Brescia.
    Stempel VIA DI SVIZZERA. Ankunft in Brescia 21.9.1855, Laufzeit folglich 4 Tage.

Brief aus Fürth vom 5.3.1857, frankiert mit 9 xr für den DÖPV nach Brescia.
    Ankunft in Brescia 10.5.1857, Laufzeit folglich 5 Tage.
    Vermerk "Via Insbruck" und "Italien".

Bei der Leitung über die Schweiz waren die Postlaufzeiten in der Regel um einen Tag kürzer als über Österreich. Dies zeigen zumindest die mir vorliegenden Briefe. Aus dem südlichen Bayern waren die Laufzeiten je nach Leitweg 3 bzw. 4 Tage. Auch bei diesen Briefen war der Weg über die Schweiz um einen Tag kürzer.

Die beiden gezeigten Briefe eignen sich wegen der Leitwegskennzeichnung (Stempel bzw. handschriftlich) und der identischen Absender/Empfänger sehr gut zur Dokumentation der unterschiedlichen Möglichkeiten.

Gruß
    bayernjäger

PS: Leider habe ich die Ausarbeitung von James van der Linden über den Stempel VIA DI SVIZZERA abgedruckt in Postgeschichte Nr. 66/1996 immer noch nicht. Kann mir da evtl. jemand weiterhelfen?

• Hello,

I don't know if there is some example among all the letter that makes our theory fall but here in Italy we suspect that the mark VIA DI SVIZZERA was not put on the letter in Milano but in Camerlata, at the terminal of the railway road.

Francesco

• Hello Francesco,

interesting - when was this railway - route opened?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello Francesco,

thanks für the picture - but I can´t see it, as it is to small.

So you think that the D.A.a.L. - handstamp was used in Camerlata too? As both handstamps usually show the same colour and the Milano arrival - handstamp ist missing very often. Shouldn´t Milano stamp the letters from Germany with their handstamp, when the letters arrived via Switzerland?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Ralph,

maybe you are right: in the examples shown in this thread D.A.a £. e VIA DI SVIZZERA have the same color. Online I was finding some more letter and here also usually they have the some color. Only the one form Ravensburg to Ancona looks different from FRANCA put in Milano.

In the archive in Milan we didn't find any information about this mark, only about VIA DEGLI STATI SARDI and VIA DI CHIASSO and others. It can be that the document went lost. Maybe one day I'll ask you to comment it.

Francesco

• Hello Francesco,

I agree with your opinion about the letter of Wurttemberg, but I have seen different shades of red from Milano, when there was a "Franco" - handstamp among other red handstamps.

I will look tomorrow for an example, so that you can see, what I talk about.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hello Francesco,

I show a letter from Milan to Munich, dated Febr. 1823, showing 2 different colours, as FRANCA is light-orange, but MILANO is dark orange.

A question about the letter from Milan to Munich, dated March 1852 - there are no transit - marks on the reverse side; was there a possibility to send via Svizzerland to Bavaria, as we have a few letters from Bavaria to Milan in closed bags via Svizzerland, showing only 9 Kr. stamps without any manual taxes.

• Ciao Ralph,

thanks for the scans. The letter on the left can't be 1823, easier 1843 because the mark FRANCA and the date mark too weren't yet in use in 1823. Anyway that is a prepaied letter and I think there shoud be a 12 on the back. 6 on the front is the swiss transit?

The other one is a unpaied letter sent via INNSBRUCK (???) a the fee is 9 +3=12 (???)

Then, when I have some time,I'll add aomething about the different color of mark. Anyway you're right: it's normal that they are different.

Francesco

• Ciao Francesco,

#52 You are right - the letter has full content and is dated 23. Feb. 1841.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph