Schweiz - Frankreich

• Kevin,
    You wrote the following:

First of all, I want to make a little correction, you wrote "40 centimes per 7.5 grams : Jul 1, 1850 - Sep 30, 1865", but that´s wrong.
    Your letter was sended in the fourth period from Aug 15, 1859 up to Sep 30, 1865, but 40 Rappen per 7,5 grams is correct.

When you say fourth period, what was the event that separated 3rd and 4th periods?
    All I have knowledge of is the convention that was effective on Jul 1, 1850 and the convention that followed on Oct 1, 1865. The rate was still the same 40 rappen/centimes per 7.5 g. So, from a rate standpoint, the date range is correct as far as I understand.

Also, thank you for responding in English. If it is hard to explain in English, write in German and I will work to translate. I am getting better - but I miss small details. And I am hopeless when it comes to writing in German. :(

Danke,
    Rob

• Hello Rob,

at the moment, I visit three english courses in university (Business English II, Business English III and TOEFEL preparation), so that I prefer writing in english, because this is a very good practice for me. The philatelic expressions and explanations are sometimes a little bit hard for me, but I´m trying my best and I hope that my English isn´t that bad to understand. :D

So, you have to separate between letters from France to Switzerland and the other way around, because there were different contracts respectively periods between the two states.
    First of all, I will tell you the periods you can apply for letters from Switzerland to France:

3rd period: rate from 14.09.1854 - 14.08.1859 (postage depending on which "rayon", but usually 35 Rappen, per 7,5 grams)
    4th period: rate from 15.08.1859 - 30.09.1865 (40 Rappen per 7,5 grams)
    5th period: rate from 01.10.1865 - 30.06.1875 (30 Rappen per 10 grams)

Now the regulations for letters sended from France to Switzerland:

1. contract between France and Switzerland from 25.11.1849, valid from 01.07.1850 - 30.09.1865 (40 centimes)
    2. rate from 01.10.1865 - 01.01.1876 (30 centimes, I´m not quite sure about the weight but I think like letters sended from Switzerland)

When you say fourth period, what was the event that separated 3rd and 4th periods?

Actually there was no real event that separated the two periods. I think the postal administration just tried to adapt to other countries in Europe, because at this time the whole postal systems have been in a change and letters got predominantly cheaper than before. But to explain these things in english is difficult for me.

Best wishes,

Kevin

• Kevin,
    Your English is quite good. I have no problem with it. I just realize I am often relying so much on the kindness of others on this forum because I am language limited. So, I wished to offer to do my part if certain subtleties are hard to explain in English. :) I'll probably fail in my own translation - but it doesn't hurt me to work on it.

I find this information useful, my thanks.

I realized that most of my knowledge comes from the French postal history perspective between the two nations, not the Swiss. I think I also need to read the postal agreement between the two countries carefully since I miss this information. Still, all of my Swiss to French items are 1860-1875, so I have not had enough cause to work on this. Now I do!
    Best,
    Rob

• Hallo Rob,

dann antworte ich dir jetzt mal auf Deutsch, dann kannst auch du dich in einer Fremdsprache etwas üben :D

Es existieren enorm viele Briefe von Schweiz nach Frankreich und umgekehrt, zusammen mit Italien ist dies sicherlich die häufigste Destination, sodass du keine Probleme damit haben solltest deine Sammlung zu erweitern. Briefe aus der 3.Periode sind schon nicht mehr ganz so häufig und (da mit "Strubel" frankiert) auch nicht ganz so billig, da musst du schon mit mindestens 80-100€ rechnen.
    Ich habe bisher auch keine Briefe aus der 3.Periode, weil sie mir bis dato zu teuer waren.

Ich zeige Dir mal einen Link zu einer ganz tollen Seite, wo Du viele Informationen ganz allgemein zur Schweizer Postgeschichte findest und auch viele Briefe vorgestellt werden.

http://www.philaworld.ch/index.php/Hauptseite

LG

Kevin

• Hello boys

the reason that there is much more literature existing and the prospects are usually the ones from the French side is easy to explain: French collectors know a lot about foreign destinations. 99% of the Swiss collectors only care about Switzerland = internal rates, local stamps and local handstamps. So 99% of the Swiss collectors are only interested in postal history up to the Swiss borders.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Kevin,
    Danke!
    I agree, the Strubels are beyond what I am able to spend on this part of my hobby... so, 4th period it is. :)
    I am still not going to try to WRITE a reply in German. ;)
    I will review the page when I am not sleepy.

Ralph,
    So, it takes a US collector to show up and just mess everything up!

Rob

• Hello Rob

So, it takes a US collector to show up and just mess everything up!

as it happens so often in life - a good brain from abroad can open the mind of the complacent local collectors. ;)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello Rob,

The postmark "7/A.E.D." was applied by the French post office in Basel (lke the date stamp "Suisse 1 St Louis 1"). Also it was useless (because of the Stamp "P.D."), this post office is known to have stamped every letters paid to destination with the "7/A.E.D." until September 30, 1865.

Regards.
    Emmanuel.

• Hallo liebe Freunde,

ich denke, bei der Marke auf diesem Brief hier handelt es sich um die Nr. 33 - Brief vom 19.12.1867 von Neuchatel nach Paris - den gab es auf dem letzten Tauschtag zusammen mit anderen Schweizbriefen ...

... ich habe leider die Angewohnheit, "über den Tellerrand hinaus" zu kaufen, wenn sich nichts Interessantes bayerisches findet :huh:

Schöne Grüße
    Bayern-Nerv Volker

• Hallo Volker,

von solchen Tellern kann es ruhig mehrere geben.
    Interessant finde ich hier den sauberen Baseler Gitterbrückenstempel (KGS), den es ab Mitte der 1860er Jahre auch im benachbarten Baden gab. Wie das in Deutschland mit vielen Dingen auch heute noch ist: Obwohl in der Nachbarschaft bereits lange erfolgreich in Gebrauch, wurden im preußischen Berlin 20 Jahre später ca. 2 Jahre lang Versuche mit diesem Stempel-Typ gemacht.

beste Grüße

Dieter

• Hallo Volker,

schönes Stück - wer könnte da für den üblichen Pizza - Preis widerstehen? Der Nebenstempel ist der Ankunftsstempel von Paris, "by the way". Hübsch!

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hallo zusammen

Ein Brief von St. Gallen nach Colmar. Abgangsstempel St. Gallen 7. April 1845

Der Brief trägt den Criminal Commission Kanton St. Gallen Stempel (Portofreiheitsstempel Winkler 3268).

Somit ist der Brief in der Schweiz Portofrei jedoch nicht in Frankreich daher rückseitig das Weiterfranko für die Schweiz bar bezahlt.

Belfort war der alphabethisch 7. Grenzort Frankreichs, AED also alles bezahlt.

Rückseitig Laufweg via Belfort nach Colmar Ankunft 9. April 1845

Im Winkler ist der Stempel nur im Jahr 1815 gelistet. Ich kenne mehrere Briefe die später diesen Stempel trugen.

Was mich jedoch noch beschäftigt ist der rote P.P Stempel.

Wo wurde dieser aufgetragen? St. Gallen hatte zwar genau diesen Stempel im Gebrauch jedoch ist mir bis heute kein roter von St. Gallen bekannt. Da der Laufweg über Zürich ging, könnte es auch Zürich gewesen sein. Jedoch macht dies wenig Sinn wenn ja St. Gallen einen solchen Stempel im Gebrauch hatte.

Wer weiss hier näheres?

Übrigens dank an Ralph für die genaue Erklärung des Portos in Frankreich:)

• Hallo José,

12x Schweizerisch waren 40 Centimes in Frankreich und die hat man in der CH siegelseitig richtig notiert.

Da alle französischen Stempel in roter Farbe vorliegen, der aus St. Gallen aber schwarz ist, folgere ich daraus, dass die Franzosen diesen Stempel abgeschlagen haben. Nur bei einem eigenen Kartenschluß Zürich - Belfort hätte es Sinn gemacht, diesen P.P. in Zürich abzuschlagen. Hatte Zürich damals in Rot gestempelt?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Dann schau mal genau hin, ob alle roten Stempel den gleichen Ton haben. Wenn nicht, dann ist er von Zürich.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Wenn er von St. Gallen wäre, hieße das, dass sie dort 2 Stempelkissen geführt hätten. Ist das Inventar der dortigen Poststelle zu dieser Zeit bekannt?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph