• Hallo Sammlerfreunde,

ein Brief von Boston über Frankreich nach Schiedam (Holland).

Der Brief ist datiert mit Boston am 16.11.1918.

Ankunftsvermerk 21Jänner

Auf der Briefvorderseite Transitstempel COLONIES PAR LE HAVRE und T.F (TRANSITE FRANCE)

Auf der Siegelseite Stempel DEB ROTTERDAM und in rot ????FRANKRYK OVER BERGEN?????

Auf der Vorderseite Rötelvermerk 15 = ????15 Stuyvers Portogebühr für Empfänger.??????

Der Vorbesitzer des Briefes notierte: WITH A POSTSCRIPT OF 24 NOV ADVISING THE ARRIVEL OF THE "TEXEL" ON 19. NOVEMBER WITH 223 PIPES OF GIN ON BOARD.

Bitte um eure Korrektur

Liebe Grüße

Franz

• Lieber Altsteirer

1. DéB. Rotterdam

2. FRANKRYK OVER BERGEN

3. 15 STUIVER :

für Briefe aus den Kolonien also Übersee, welche im Transit durch Frankreich liefen, wurden laut niederländischer Postcircular n°125 vom 26.8.1818 Artikel LXXVIII Abschnitt III

der Französische Anteil immer ab Bordeaux berechnet + NL Inlandporto ab Grenzübergangsbüro bis zum Bestimmungsort.

In deinem Falle macht dies:

Bordeaux - Valenciennes 9d +

Bergen (Mons) bis Schiedam 6d = Gesamt 15

• Hello all,

I have recently managed to win this item at auction and I await its arrival with some anticipation.

This is an example of the 27 cent rate from the United States to the Netherlands (via England) effective from July of 1866 until the end of December 1867.

Question: has anyone seen ANY other examples of this rate during this rate period?

Prior to this, options for sending mail to Holland from the US were limited. Starting in 1849, a person could use British Open Mail and only pay for the US portion of the postage (this would be 5 cents or 21 cents depending on the contract the trans-Atlantic packet sailed under). The Open Mail rate was discontinued at the point this 27 cent rate was started.

French mail provided a 21 cent rate per 1/4 ounce (7.5 grams) starting in April of 1857 (which was still active in 1866/67).

Bremen had a 25 cent rate (per 1/2 ounce) August 1853-July 1857.

A direct mail rate via American Packet was started in October of 1866 for only 17 cents per 1/2 ounce and Bremen/Hamburg Mails introduced a new 18 cents per 1/2 ounce rate in February of 1867. So, while it was nice to be able to finally prepay the entire rate, it was not the best price for mailing long - though it did have the most sailings to take advantage of getting there faster.

Best,

Rob

• I continue to look and see if there are any other examples of this rate (shown in the prior entry).

So far, I have had only one other example shown to me, which included two 12 cent and one 3 cent stamp to pay the 27 cent postage. I thought I would post again in case someone here is aware of another example.

Best,

Rob

• ... another beauty from you today - wow! :love: :love:

An unsere Mods: Könntet ihr bitte den Titel ändern in USA - Niederlande?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Here is an 1867 letter from the US to the Netherlands.

This time the letter was sent using the British Open Mail. Under this option, a person paid only for the postage for the US portion of the trip. This was either 5 cents if the trans-Atlantic voyage was on a British ship and 21 cents if it was a US contract ship. The rest of the postage (55 Dutch cents) was collected from the recipient.

And, this week's Postal History Sunday is a combined discussion of the three covers I have shown here. You can view it (in English) here.

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

is this a 10 pence taxmark from the British post office of London?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello Ralph,

Yes, 10 d mark from London.

55 Dutch cents due from recipient, applied probably in Moerdijk. 50 Dutch cents = 10 d. 8d covers the trans-Atlantic voyage on a British contract ship.

Rob