Portugal - Baden Exil des Königs Miguel I (Michael I) in Bronnbach (Baden) 1851 - 1866

• Liebe Freunde,

ich möchte euch 2 nette Briefe mit Inhalt vorstellen, die beide in Braganca in Portugal geschrieben wurden und an Dr. Gomes de Abreu in Bronnbach bei Wertheim in Baden gerichtet wurden.

Dort war der portugiesische König Miguel I seit 1851 im Exil (bis 1866). Text aus wikipedia:

"Exil von Miguel I.

Von 1851 bis zu seinem Tod im Jahr 1866 lebte der ehemalige portugiesische König Miguel I. in Bronnbach im Exil. 1834 hatte er unter dem Druck seines Bruders Dom Pedro, Kaiser von Brasilien, auf die Krone verzichtet. Die Wahl des Exils fiel auf Bronnbach, da Miguel I. die Schwester des Fürsten zu Löwenstein geheiratet hatte, welchem das Kloster zu jener Zeit gehörte. Es erfuhr dadurch eine Aufwertung zum Schloss. Der Sohn aus dieser Ehe, Miguel II., ließ durch seine Bestattung in der Klosterkirche die Tradition der Grablege wiederaufleben. Auch zwei Enkel von Miguel I. sind dort bestattet.[3] "

Beginnen wir mit dem 1. Brief:

Lissabon, 5.5.1865, im geschlossenen Transit durch Spanien, Frankreich und Belgien, erhielt ihn die preussische Bahnpost von der belgischen Bahnpost der Linie Verviers - Köln am 10.5. (blauer Zugstempel), weiter Richtung Süden nach Bingerbrück am 11.5., via Taxis (Hessen) noch am selben Tag mit der bayerischen Bahnpost nach Aschaffenburg, dort nach Wertheim in Baden, um am 12.5. in Bronnbach einzulangen. Es ist der einzig mir bekannte Brief aus Portugal über Bayern nach Baden.

Der 2. Brief stammt aus Braganca vom 4.7.1865 und lief praktisch genau so - via Lissabon am 8.7., Verviers - Köln am ??/7, nun aber nach Heidelberg am 14.7., dann weiter nach Wertheim am 15.7. und am selben Tag nach Bronnbach, womit eine Leitung über Bayern vermieden wurde.

Beide Briefe waren nicht bezahlt worden, weil der Absender offenbar Portofreiheit besaß - jedes Mal erhielten die Briefe den P.D. - Stempel und einmal brachte man, vermutlich in Bayern, eine "NULL" - Paraphe vorne an, um zu zeigen, dass Privatbriefe auch ohne Marken nicht mit Porto belastet werden durften.

Die Inhalte (vom 1. Brief nur die 1. Seite, weil größer als A3!) füge ich bei - wer Portugiesisch kann, ich kann es leider nicht, braucht sie nicht mühsam zu transkribieren - es würde mir allemal reichen, wenn man mich über Interessantes im Inhalt informierte. Vielen Dank hierfür schon vorab.

• 8| 8| 8|
    ...allerhochgradigst verdächtig, muss mal intensivst-googeln.
    8o

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

• Hallo Pälzer,

ich vermute, dass der Empfänger der Arzt seiner Majestät Miguel I war und die königliche Familie in Lissabon bzw. Braganca geschrieben haben, denn eine Portofreiheit hatte sicher nicht jeder Portugiese anzusprechen.

Was ich noch zu schreiben vergessen hatte:

Portugal - Spanien - Frankreich - Belgien - Preussen - Taxis - Bayern - Baden = 8 Postgebiete sind nicht jeden Tag auf dem Markt, jedenfalls sicher nicht von Portugal mit königlicher Provenienz.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Lieber Bayern Social,

ja, klasse Quelle - gezahlt hat man nichts, das ist doch wieder typisch. :D

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello

Thank you - but this should be a wrong thread. Do you refer on letters from Portugal to Bade in the 1850s?

Please tell us, so that our mods can put your questions and answers in the correct thread. Thanks and welcome here. :)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Olá Ralph,

Sim, devo estar no segmento errado então. Eu não referem-se às cartas de Portugal para banhar-se na década de 1850.

Você poderia me colocar no correto?

Muito obrigado pela sua gentileza.

Melhor,

Manuel

• Hello Ralph,

Yes, I must be in the wrong thread. I do refer to refer the letters from Portugal to Bade in the 1850s.

Could you please put my questions in the correct thread?

Thank you so much for your kindness :).

Best,

Manuel

• Hello Manuel

I can´t do that because I am not a mod. Here is the correct thread for your answers/letters or whatsoever.

Portugal - Baden Exil des Königs Miguel I (Michael I) in Bronnbach (Baden) 1851 - 1866

Please post there and I hope one of our mods can manage this all.

5 Beiträge redaktionell verschoben

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Michael ()

• Dear Michael

thanks a lot for your excellent job.

Dear Manuel

Have you got letters from your family that could be posted here? I hope so ... :thumbup:

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Dear Ralph,

Thanks a lot for your kind help in the change of thread.

I do not have any letters of this period, unfortunately. I am not sure if my mother has some of the uncle of her great grandmother as she has several documents pertaining to him.

António Joaquim Ribeiro Gomes de Abreu was a professor of medicine at the University of Coimbra and a resolute legitimist, a supporter of D. Miguel I in opposition to the liberal partisans of D. Pedro IV.

As he refused to take an oath to the Constitutional Chart after the end of the civil war, won by the liberals, he could no longer pursue his career at the University. Shortly after he was invited by the exiled king, D. Miguel I, to take charge of the education of his children, especially his heir, D. Miguel Januário (D. Miguel II for the legitimists).

The two letters are not easy to read due to the handwriting and faintness of ink.

In the first one, which is not complete, the sender expresses concern about the way a certain D. L. is conducting his businesses.

In the second one, Francisco Cândido de Mendoça e Mello, who must be an acquaintance of António Joaquim from his times at the University of Coimbra, basically writes to thank his invitation and presence in the baptism of one of the princes and asks Dr. Gomes de Abreu to convey his respects to their Majesties, the King and Queen. Dr. Gomes de Abreu was director and collaborator of several newspapers before his exile and Francisco Cândido de Mendoça e Mello is the founder of a similar counter current newspaper – O Christianismo - with Camilo Castelo Branco, one of the most important writers of the time. This newspaper seeks to foster a spiritual renovation in opposition to the moral philosophism and Jansenism, “the sinister shadow of Mirabeau”, the weakness of a purely social, purely political and economic, purely philanthropic regeneration, rampant among the liberals. Such ideas were certainly shared and cherished by Dr. Gomes de Abreu.

Now, I have what must certainly seem like an odd request for a collector’s forum: Dr. Gomes de Abreu, my 4th grand uncle, died shortly after D. Miguel I and is buried at Bronnbach Kloster. Dr. Gomes de Abreu is a much revered character in my family, especially because my mother was very attached to her grandmother and Dr. Gomes de Abreu, who was a kind and very principled man, was very supportive of the mother of my mother’s grandmother, who was his niece.

So, I wonder if there is anyone in this forum who lives near Bronnbach Kloster and would be so kind as to drop by and take a photograph of the tombstone of Dr. Gomes de Abreu and send it to me. The tombstone has a dedication by the Queen, senhora D. Adelaide Sofia de Bragança, former Princess Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, which reads - «Antonius Joachimus Ribeiro Gomes d’Abreu. Math. et Med. Doctor Universitatis Conimbricensis. Michaelis I amicus. Michaelis II paedagogus. Natus die XXII Febr. A. D. 1809. Obiit XV Junii 1867. In pace. Implevit Eum Dominus Spiritu sapientiae et intellectus. Fidelitatis documentum edit Conimbrae die IX Aprilis 1856. Pietatis exemplum dedit Brombach die III Octobris 1863. Adelaidis Michaelis I. Vidua cum Filio Gratissime dedicavit 1867

If someone would be so kind as to send me such a photograph that would have a huge significance to my mother, a lady of 83 years old.

Thank you so much in advance.

All the best,

Manuel

• Dear Manuel

thanks a lot for you wonderful background knowledge and the translation. Nobody else would have been able to do that.

Unfortunately I am living far away from that little town, but may be somebody reads your comment and is so kind to help you.

All the best,

Ralph

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph