• nordlicht,

Danke!

This makes sense to me - more than schillinge. 8 sgr would correspond roughly to the US cents break down I show for German and Swiss transit.

Do you note also the red "2 ?" marking in crayon that is with the blue 8? Do you have thoughts on that? And who would apply these markings? I am guessing the red marking in Hamburg.

These are details I enjoy, but I find I am unsure about with US items through Germany.

Best,
    Rob

• You are welcome.

I noted the red "2" but I am not sure regarding the meaning. Probably Hamburg applied it in order to indicate a double-weight letter.

Regards,
    nordlicht

• Hello all!

I will share more of my exhibit pages with you by finding appropriate topics on the forum and posting the page. Eventually, I will have all pages converted and will make a web page with the entire exhibit for viewing.

This time I show an item originating in the US and going via French Mail to Switzerland.

Of particular interest to me at this time is research on the mail routes in Europe that carried US foreign mail. For example, I realize that there were multiple crossings for mail exchange between France and Switzerland, especially if you consider border mail. But, the number of crossings that would carry mail that originated in the United States (or was heading to the United States) was limited.

For France and Switzerland, I am fairly certain that the crossings at St Louis/Basel and Pontarlier. For Bremen/Hamburg mails, it appears most foreign mail from the US enters at Basel, though I am aware that an entry in the northeast is also possible. I would be happy to hear of knowledge and/or opinions regarding these routes during the 1860's.

Best,
    Rob

• Hello Rob

first of all I would love to see your whole collection in a row somewhere in the forum here. Maybe our 3 admins can help you here (nils, michael + kreuzer).

For Bremen/Hamburg mails, it appears most foreign mail from the US enters at Basel, though I am aware that an entry in the northeast is also possible. I would be happy to hear of knowledge and/or opinions regarding these routes during the 1860's.

Interesting point, but not (always) easy to explain:

Hamburg + Bremen were used for international postage from the prince of Thurn und Taxis. Those letters usually transited Germany via Hanover/Brunswick/Hesse/Bade during the 1860s to Efringen (Bade) or Friedrichshafen (Wurttemberg) via Lake Constance.

As this long transit route was not for free, Thurn und Taxis made contracts with those involved countries that allowed a closed mail transport, so you can´t see any handstamps of any postoffice. Letters were transported only via trains to the Swiss border.

PCM letters via Aachen differ much from that, as they (usually) show handstamps from involved postoffices (but sometimes those were forgotten, or they hat not time enough time for this procedure).

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• It is still the farming season for me, so I am afraid I will make a short post and disappear again for a while. However, I was able to acquire a new item for my collection and exhibit this Spring and I thought I would share my exhibit page. I always welcome comments and corrections because it is important to me to be correct in my descriptions.
    Below is an item from the United States to Switzerland that was paid only to the border between the DOPV / GAPU and Switzerland.
    As a side note. I was able to show my 24 cent 1861 US postal history exhibit at the APS Stampshow in Omaha, Nebraska a week ago. I was surprised and pleased to receive the Grand award for the multiple frame open competition. This is something I don't think I expected I would ever do.
    Best,
    Rob

• Hello Rob

Congratulations for your success in exhibiting your collection - I don´t wonder, why you´ve got the Grand award.

Everything is perfect with your description - may be you should have added that the receiver lived in Staufen near Lenzburg, so there was a rural postman involved as well, what makes the letter even better. A very fine piece with the Prussian handstamp in blue "Franco Preuss: resp Vereinl: Ausg:Gr" which is quite rare to find (van der Linden No. 1505, value in blue about 400 - 600 $).

Hope to see more new pages from your collection when it´s winter again. ;)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Liebe Freunde,

aus der Sammlung eines großen CH - Sammlers zeige ich heute einen USA - Brief von Boston (Mass.) nach Lausanne (CH) mit späterer Weiterleitung unter poste restante nach Heidelberg (Dt. Reich) vom 13.8.1886.

Sehr selten ist dabei eine Unterfrankatur, die Schweizer Portomarke, die Bezahlung des Restportos und die spätere Aufgabe mit 25 Rappen poste restante ins Deutsche Reich.

Ein 2. Stück will erst noch gefunden werden ... :P

• Ich kann damit zwar nicht mehr viel anfangen weil es ausserhalb meiner beobachteten Zeit ist.

Aber ein Hammerbrief auf jedenfall. Ich gehe davon aus das ich deinen Freund kenne...

So hat jeder sein Spezialgebiet, find ich echt toll 😊

• Lieber José,

ja, du kennst ihn. :)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hello Rob,

the letter was double weight. So there were missing 5 Cts equivalent to 25 Rappen (Cts). The addressee had to pay double rate. But as as he meanwhile was in Germany the Swiss officials added a stamp of 25 Rappen for the forwarding to Germany.

Dieter

• Hello Rob

no. The sender paid 5 cents instead of 10 cents für a double weight letter.

In Switzerland they charged the recepient with 50 Centimes/Rappen. As the redepient was no longer in Switzerland, somebody paid that to get the letter. Below the postage due stamp is written "bezahlt" = paid.

A few days later he paid 25 Centimes/Rappen for the letter showing the new address in Heidelberg and wanted the letter to rest at the post office there.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Danke,

Sorry for the confusion. I should probably try to read the cover more before I try to read the Deutsch!

Makes sense to me now.

That's twice in a week I've been led astray by my bad reading of a non-English language! :P

Rob

• You are one of our top boys here, so don´t worry about your German.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Liebe Freunde,

von einem lieben Sammlerfreund zur Verfügung gestellt bekommen ein unterfrankierter Brief aus Mill Grove vom 5.4.1870 nach Killwangen, Kanton Aargau in der schönen Schweiz.

Viel Freude an dem seltenen und schönen Stück!

Bilder

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Ralph,

How very interesting! Will you be adding this to your collection? I wonder if this is in Michael Laurence's census for 10 cent 1869 issue covers....

Best,

Rob

• Dear Rob

no, it is not in my collections, because it has nothing to do with Bavaria. The owner ist a friend in Bavaria, wohl collects Switzerland from 1849 till the end of WW II. And he has lots and lots of letters (I guess 15.000 plus).

You can use this scan for whatever you want. :)

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Werte Sammlerfreunde

Anbei ein Brief aus dem Jahre 1902 aus den USA nach Frankreich und weiter in die Schweiz und retour zum Absender.

Dank der Mithilfe von Pälzer kann ich nun folgenden Beschrieb abgeben:

Diese 2 Cents-Ganzsache mit 3 Cents Zusatzfrankatur (5 Cents entsprachen 25 Centimes) an Herrn Dr. Caroll Dunham in Paris (Frankreich) wurde von Mr. Green am 3. Juni 1902 in SAYVILLE (New York) aufgegeben. Weil der Brief in der zweiten Gewichtsstufe (= 10 Cents = 50 Centimes) lag wurden die runden New Yorker Taxstempel «T» und «25 Centimes N.Y.» zur Kennzeichnung des Fehlbetrages von 25 Centimes angebracht. Gemäss UPU-Reglement musste dieser Fehlbetrag verdoppelt und am Empfangsort einkassiert werden.

Rückseitig ist der Stempel "NEW YORK N.Y.-FOR.B'CH" («foreign branch office») abgeschlagen. Dort hin gingen alle Sendungen zu einer letzten Kontrolle, bevor sie ins Ausland ausgeschifft wurden.

In Paris kam der Brief am 12. Juni 1902 an. Hier wurde die Taxmarke geklebt und zuerst mit dem Triangularstempel entwertet und nachdem an der Erstadresse 31 Boulevard Hausmann der Empfänger nicht anwesend und der Brief an die in Rötel angegebene Adresse in Luzern weiterzuleiten war, wieder mit einem Federzug annulliert. Am 15. Juni 1902 kam der Brief gemäss Ankunftsstempel in Luzern an und der einzufordernde Betrag von «50» Rappen wurden in blau notiert und mit der Nachportomarke (20 Gb Type II) belegt. Dieser Fehlbetrag wurde vom Empfänger Dr. Caroll Dunham einkassiert.

Sammlergruss Martin

PS:

Der Absender ist möglicherweise der Vater oder ein Verwandter von Carroll Dunham (* 1949 in New Haven, Connecticut) einem US-amerikanischer Künstler (Malerei, Zeichnungen, Grafik, Mixed Media, Skulpturen).

Seine mutmassliche Enkelin Lena Dunham ist 2012 mit der HBO-Fernsehserie Girls berühmt geworden, worin auch ihr Bruder Cyrus Grace Dunham als Schauspieler auftritt. Sohn Carroll Dunham ist verheiratet mit der Künstlerin und Fotografin Laurie Simmons. Er lebt und arbeitet in New York.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Valesia ()

• ...ich sehe das anders, der Brief ging nicht zurück nach den USA, dafür gibt es keine Anhaltspunkte. Luzern wurde nicht als Letztadresse ausgestrichen, sondern dort der Ankunfststempel abgeschlagen und das Nachporto von 50 Rappen eingenommen. Der Taxstempel von New York kann eigentlich nur daher rühren, dass der Brief schon in der zweiten Gewichtsstufe = 10 Cents = 50 Centimes lag. Er gibt nicht den amerikanischen Portoanteil an, sondern den Fehlbetrag von 25 Centimes, der nach UPU-Regelement zu verdoppeln und am Empfangsort einzunehmen war.

Der Stempel der USA hinten ist vom New Yorker foreign branch office (...früher auch exchange office). Dort gingen alle Sendungen durch eine letzte Kontrolle, bevor ins Ausland ausgeschifft wurde. Paris hat im Übrigen bilderbuchmäßig gearbeitet, die Taxmarke zuerst mit dem von dort bekannten Triangularstempel entwertet und nachdem an an der Erstadresse 31 Boulevard Hausmann nichts zu holen und an die in Rötel angegebene Adresse in Luzern weiterzuleiten war, mit Federzug wieder annulliert. Ein sehr ansehlicher Beleg, den jeder gerne in der Sammlung hätte.

+ Gruß

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Pälzer ()