Germania-Brief nach Newfoundland

• Hello

Here I have a Registered cover from Apolda to St-John, NL. What do you think about the franking. (I'll be home next week after 4 months in Europe so there will be no more silly questions like that)

Since Newfoundland was a self-governing Dominion of the British Empire from 1855-1933, I have to check why the cover came in New York and transit by Boston to go there???

NL is not a destination that we see often.

Thanks guys and gals

Best regards

Sylvain

• Hallo Sylvain,

from my point of view, the shipment of your - very nice - letter A) still happend by steam-ship and B) in different ship-courses. The first one from Bremen or Hamburg to New York, than via railway from New York to Boston, and finally with a second sea-transport from Boston to Saint John`s (Newfoundland).

In so far the letter had to be reloaded two times within the states, where the appropriate registration-bureaus marked it`s passage to release themselves.

And yes, the rate of 1,60 Mark is fine: tax-period from 06.05.1920 - 01.04.1921 with 80 Pf for the overseas-rate of the letter till 20 gr and another 80 Pf for the registered mail.

Best regards !

Tim

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis