Taxis - Taxis ins Ausland

• Liebe Sammlerfreunde,

folgenden Brief möchte ich gerne zeigen:
    Barfrankierter Brief (10 Kreuzer -Postbezirksverkehr über 30 Meilen) von Frankfurt (Freie Stadt Frankfurt - Thurn und Taxis) nach Gera (Fürstentum Reuß jüngere Linie -
    Thurn und Taxis) vom 30. April 1851. Hätte der Absender den Brief einen Tag später, am 1. Mai 1851 aufgegeben, hätte er einen Kreuzer gespart, denn Frankfurt trat am 1. Mai 1851 dem DÖPV bei und die DÖPV Taxe wäre 9 Kreuzer gewesen (über 20 Meilen). Die Fürstentümer Reuß traten bereits am 1. April 1851 dem DÖPV bei.

Beste Grüße von VorphilaBayern

• Lieber VorphlaBayern,

ein interessanter Brief - ich war mal zu einer JHV der ARGE Thurn und Taxis eingeladen und meine mich angesichts eines Vortrages von Hr. Schenk zu erinnern, dass er sagte, es gäbe auch 10x Porti/Frankaturen innerhalb des taxischen Lehenspostbereiches zu Zeiten des DÖPV. Demnach hätte der Brief auch später noch 10x gekostet. Leider war es mir nie vergönnt, einen solchen 10x Brief aufzutun - weder porto, noch franko.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Liebe Freunde,

anbei ein Brief, der zwar innerhalb des Taxisschen Postgebietes blieb, aber politisch gesehen vom Großherzogtum Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach ins Herzogtum Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha lief.

Der Brief wurde 1863 von der Kirche zu Culitzsch bei der Post in Weida mit dem Vermerk frei nebst Bestellgeld aufgegeben.
    Dementsprechend wurde er mit 1 1/4 Sgr. frankiert (Nr. 13 und 29). Rückseitig finden sich ein Durchgangsstempel von Gotha und der Ankunftsstempel von Gräfentonna.

Postalisch war es für die Taxis-Post ein Inlandsbrief. Politisch gesehen ein Auslandsbrief, der mindestens 4 Staatsgebiete berührte!

Weida liegt etwas unterhalb von Gera, rechts unten auf der Karte
    Gräfentonna liegt oberhalb von Gotha links oben auf der Karte

Neben den o.g. Herkunfts- und Zielländern waren dies, je nach Leitweg
    über Cahla : Sachsen-Altenburg
    über Gera : Reuß j.L.
    über Erfurt : Preußen
    über Rudolstadt : Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
    über Saalfeld : Sachsen-Meiningen

Leider ist der genaue Leitweg nicht belegt.

Weida selbst gehörte bis 1815 zu Sachsen, kam mit den Beschlüssen des Wiener Kongresses zunächst zu Preußen und wurde dann an Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach abgetreten.

Viele Grüße
    Michael

Mitglied im DASV - Internationale Vereinigung für Postgeschichte

• Wenn aus einem TT-Ort in einen anderen TT-Ort ein Brieflein ging, dann lief er zwar oft durch das "Ausland", er wurde aber im "Taxisschen Postbezirk" befördert. Dabei konnten schon mal andere Staatsgebiete berührt bzw. durchquert werden, ist ja auch kein Wunder, gerade in Thüringen und auch in Hessen, wo sich einige Ex- bzw. Enklaven befanden. Und genau diese Beförderungen machen das Thema so spannend. Da gibt es noch viel zu erforschen und entdecken.
    Gruß Taxis107

Mitglied im DASV

• Hello again!

I realize the previous post may not belong here now! So, if it needs moving, please do move it to the proper place.

I think this cover does belong here. 1865 date marking on the back.

18 kreuzer to pay postage within DOPV plus registration.

Distance from Sonneberg to Leipzig should be 15-30 meilen

So, my guess is that was a 2nd weight level letter rated at 12 kreuzer for postage

Registration was then an addition 6 kreuzer

This should account for 18 kreuzer in postage.

Have I read this item correctly?

Thank you for any help!

Rob

• Hello Rob

nice to read you again. :)

16x letter: Prussia (for the GPU = DÖPV) made a contract with the NL 1.4.1851, which knew 5 sections:

2 sections in the NL up to 10 miles (75 km) = 1 Silbergroschen or 4 Kreuzer an the towns over 10 miles from the Prussian border 2 Sgr. = 7 Kreuzer.

Germany consisted of 3 parts: Up to 10 miles, over 10 - 20 miles and over 20 miles, or in other words: 1 Sgr. = 3 Kreuzer for the first rayon, 2 Sgr. = 6 Kreuzer for the 2nd rayon and 3 Sgr. = 9 Kreuzer for the 3rd rayon.

16 Kreuzer = 3rd rayon from Germany to the Prussian - NL border plus over 10 miles = 2 Sgr. = 7 Kreuzer for the Dutch post.

This contract ended 31.12.1863, when a new and simpler contract from Prussia with the NL started one day later with 12 Kreuzer (4 Sgr.) postage for prepaid letter (8 Kreuzer GPU, 4 Kreuzer NL).

What was written in the left lower corner? 9 Kr. for Taxis, 7 Kr. "Weiterfranko" for the NL, which was 2 Sgr., which were 10 NL - Cents (red ink = Taxis, blue ink = Prussia.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von bayern klassisch ()

• Hello Rob,

the letter from Sonneberg to Leizpzig weighted 1 3/20 Loth. Letters with 1 loth exactly or more were in the 2nd weightclass, so it was like this: Over 10 - 20 miles first rate 6 Kr., second rate also 6 Kr. = 12 Kr.. Chargé (recommended letters at this time) plus 6 Kr. for the post of Taxis = 18 Kr. in toto.

In case of fraud (when somebody would have stolen the letter at the post) the sender would have got 24 1/2 Gulden (1.470 Kreuzer !).

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Danke Ralph,

It is good that I read the 2nd cover correctly. My instinct told me the first was properly paid, but I had no resource to tell me the rates to be certain.

I have a few more new items that I picked up in Chicago last weekend at the Great American Stamp Show. I hope to show them in the forum in their proper places over the next several weeks. :)

Rob

• Dear Rob

We all like, what you show here, so go for it. If the thread is wrong, our mods change threads easily. Nice to read that there was a stamp show - I would like to say so too.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hello collector friends!

Here is the back of the folded letter from post #5. I include the front again as well so you can easily see it.

I could use a little help with the markings here.

I believe one is Coburg Bahnhof for February 11

the Ausgabe receiver marking for February 12

But, I am uncertain about the third marking.

Perhaps the address would help some, but I can only read "Leipzig" and "fco" (franco).

Thank you for any help.

Rob

• Hello Rob

the 3rd should be from Eisenach (Thurn und Taxis as well).

Fine letter, 2nd weight rate ("1 3/20 Loth" left upper corner")

9 Kr. first rate, 9 Kr. second rate plus 6x for Chargé paid cash = 24 Kreuzer letter.

But it´s 155 km direct from Coburg to Leipzig.

If they had seen this letter closer to 150 km, it would be exactly, as I wrote about it a time ago (6+6+6 Kreuzer = 18 Kr. in total). At that time they could not use GPS, so a few Kilometers more would have been fine. When we find a letter single weight from Coburg to Leipzig, we should see either 6, oder 9 Kr. and will know then.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von bayern klassisch ()

• Most likely. I can´t see the date, but let it be around 1860, here you´ll see, why there is a handstamp of Eisenach.

IEG-MAPS

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Danke, yes.

I just did not see the letters for Eisenach. I was convinced I was looking at a name starting with "T" or "F" and was looking to the borders with Saxony for an exchange rather than a change in train.

Now I look at it and all is clear. Seems funny that I did not recognize it now.

Eisenach is actually a sister-city with Waverly, Iowa. Waverly is only 20 miles away from my farm.

Best,

Rob

• Ralph,

The Michel rates book shows the rates break at 15 and 30 meilen instead of 10 to 20 meilen. Are they correct, or is it an error?

It does show Prussia and other German states with 10 and 20 meilen as the rate change distances. But not for Thurn and Taxis.

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

at Eisenach they seperated the letters - north or east was the question. East for your letter. Routes by train in those times are not very easy to find out - just use the ieg-maps of the university of Mainz (close to me, 20 km only. They did a very good job and those maps will help you a lot.

When it comes to descibe letters prior the railways, its even more difficult and you need a lot of knowledge and/or experience.

Waverly of Bremer County - sounds very German, ey? There is a Wartburg College in Waverly and the Wartburg Castle was the hiding point of Martin Luther, close to Eisenach and so the circle is complete.

Sorry for the victims at the school in Texas - a desaster. ;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Ja, Wartburg College in Waverly - lots of German influence in the 1850s in this area. My wife works at Wartburg College, so we are more aware of the connections than some people in the area.

Too many people dying - especially children in the US. There is no perfect solution, but we must do something. Even if it is not perfect.

Best,

Rob

• Absolutely agree. Hope this was the last assault there, but I can hardly believe it. To many maniacs are hanging around everywhere. Bad times ...

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph