• Hello Rob

A little beauty! Was that 3 cents for the US post and 48 cents für foreign postal administrations? So it was a simple letter for the US and GB, but a double letter one for the French, right?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello,

This is quite possible because in France the weight progression was 7.5 g. at this time.

Hallo,

das ist durchaus möglich, da in Frankreich die Gewichtsprogression zu dieser Zeit bei 7,5 g lag.

Have a great day / Schönen Tag

Martin

• Ralph and Martin,

Six cents are kept by the US for surface postage (2 times 3 cents). 48 cents are passed on to cover the British trans-Atlantic contract, the transit across the channel and the French mail transit. I suspect I will find it was a French steamer from Marseilles that gets it to Civitivecchia and then Rome. I'll try to get a full write up on here as a follow up post.

Rob

• Here is the front and the back of this item. I realized I never did follow up and share more.

Route information is below:

Boston PAID (1862)

“Steamer Africa, March 26th via New York & Liverpool”

New York (Mar 26)

Cunard Africa

Queenstown (Apr 6)

Etats Unis Serv Br A.C. Apr 8

Paris Apr 8 (verso)

Roma via di Mare (verso)

“recd April 14th" (docket)

I have not yet figured out the steamship that took this to Rome. So, if someone has information on that, I would appreciate it.

Best,

Rob