• Goodevening,

I'd like to have some more information about the postmark named Kaminstempel: it is interesting and unusual because of the shape unknown in the Austrian Empire. I didn't find it in the Muller's handbook of prephilatelic marks. Also in the italian territories we don't have the same: only in Milano there is a mark looking like it used on arrival on registered letter. I post it below.

What does the german philatelic literature write about it? What do collectors think about its origin?

Thanks for any your help

Francesco

• Hello Francesco

the origins are the marks of recommended letters. johelbig wrote a book about an old correspondance, he discovered, where those marks occured almost in the late middle ages.

It came from the latin "nota bene", also known als NB - sign, which later became crossed Xes and after that handstamps like the ones you show here.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Ralph,

thanks a lot for your answer confirming what I supposed. The book of Joachim Helbig is interesting but is in german and I can't understand it. I saw there is also the ebook but not in english.

Francesco