USA - Russland

• Offizieller Beitrag

Liebe Freunde,

endlich kam mein Los aus der Winter-Sammlung von jenseits des Atlantiks an:

Am 5. August 1857 in New York aufgegeben, ging es an H. Schliemann in St. Petersburg.
    Dies war nach Schliemanns mehrjährigem und erfolgreichem Aufenthalt in den Staaten.
    Der Brief gelangte mit der Asia, einem Schiff der Cunard-Linie am 16.8. nach Liverpool und von dort im geschlossenen Paket nach Aachen (18.8.).
    Ein Portobrief, der mit 23 Cents Belastung (amerikanisches + See-Porto) an Preußen übergeben wurde. Dort wurden die 23 Cents in 12 Sgr. reduziert und 2 Sgr. an Transitporto hinzugerechnet. In Russland kamen zu diesen 46 Kopeken noch 10 Kopeken Inlandsporto, so dass der Empfänger 56 Kopeken zu zahlen hatte.

Viele Grüße
    Michael

• Lieber Michael,

herzlichen Glückwunsch zu dieser Bombe - ja, manchmal sind auch einfach aussehende Briefe Knaller und wenn dann noch Heinrich ("Henry") Schliemann dazu kommt, ist das Stück perfekt.

Ob ich jedoch in einer Ausstellungssammlung auf einen Aspekt = Empfänger hinweisen würde, der postgeschichtlich unauffällig war, ist eine ganz andere Sache; der eine wird es machen, und ich kann ihn gut verstehen, der andere lässt es weg und damit nur den Kenner ahnen, was er vor sich hat ...

Liebe Grüsse von bayern klassisch

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Liebe Freunde,

danke für eure freundlichen Kommentare.
    In der Sammlung werde ich da nicht drauf eingehen. Ich habe noch andere Briefe an Schliemann in der Sammlung und bei einem habe ich in der Beschreibung auf den Empfänger hingewiesen.
    Ist postgeschichtlich eben (leider) "uninteressant".
    Über mögliche Schwächen der Ausstellungsordnung wurde ja andernorts schon verschiedentlich diskutiert ...

Viele Grüße
    Michael

• Offizieller Beitrag

Liebe Freunde,

hier ein Brief aus Portland per PCM nach St. Petersburg.

Frankiert mit 35 Cents, die ich wie folgt aufschlüsseln würde:
    5 Cts. amerikanisches Franko
    18 Cts. Seeporto
    5 Cts. an Preußen (2 Sgr.)
    ca. 7 Cts. an Russland, das Weiterfranko von 3 Sgr. wurde als f3 mit Blaustift notiert
    (Falls da jetzt ein Denkfehler drin ist, bitte ich um Korrektur)

Die Aufgabe erfolgte in Portoland am 30.10.1865, das Datum des roten Packet-Paid-Stempels ist leider nicht zu erkennen. In Aachen kam der Brief am 12.11. an.

Mit welchem Schiff lief dieser Brief?
    Woher stammt der rote 14-Stempel und was bedeutet er?

Gruß
    Michael

• Hallo Michael,

ich meine den roten Stempel als New York Br.Packet Paid erkennen zu können.

Dann würde die britische Cunard-Linie passen. Abfahrt New York 1.11.1865, Ankunft Queenstown 10.11.1865. Über Belgien nach Aachen (12.11.).

Viele Grüsse
    Christian

• Moin Michael,

dem Vorredner schließe ich mich an: sehr schöner Brief !!!

5 Cts. amerikanisches Franko
    18 Cts. Seeporto
    5 Cts. an Preußen (2 Sgr.)

Genau genommen 16 Cent Seeporto und 2 Cent Belgien.

Viele Grüße
    nordlicht

• Lieber Michael,

ich habe in allen möglichen Bänden Literatur nachgeschaut - nur einen/diesen 14 - Stempel habe ich dabei nicht gefunden.

An einen russischen Stempel mag ich auch nicht glauben - vom Rot her scheint er auch nicht zu dem NY - Stempel zu passen. Da bin ich leider überfragt.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Hello all!

Here is a letter to Russia from the prior rate period. Perhaps it helps show the "14's" use. I think the 14 handstamp on the prior cover would be a US marking.

Here is the postage breakdown:
    Russia 2 x 37 cent rate per 1/2 oz (oct 1852 - apr 1863)
    2f - zweifach (double rate)
    Portland ME Am Pkt 46 (amount due to the US since treated as fully unpaid)
    US 32 cts - US Packet
    10 cts - surface
    4 cts - British Transit

Prussia
    24/4 (silbergroschen)
    24 sgr - international
    4 sgr - internal
    Russia
    112 (kopecks on verso)
    20 kp - internal
    92 kp - to Prussia

Route:
    Gorham, ME Feb 2?
    Portland Mar 1 (1862)
    Allan Bohemian
    Liverpool (Mar 14)
    Aachen 3/16 (verso)
    guessing from here: Berlin, Konigsberg, Vilnius and St Petersburg. With rail changing from Prussian system to Russian prior to Vilnius.

Josiah Pierce: Appointed secretary of the US Legation in St Petersburg in 1855, Pierce moved on to work for Winans, Harrison and Winans in 1858. This company built and equipped railroads between Moscow and St Petersburg.

I hope this helps and is enjoyable for others to see.
    Rob

• Hello Rob,

very nice letter - including the so called social philately.

Michael is our expert for mails from and to Russia. He´ll love your letter too and may be can clear (possible) uncertanties.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Yes that´s right. Bayern Social and Erdinger are the kings of the "Sophy", as we call it here and when you have any questions about persons, just let them know. If they can´t find any data, nobody will find anything. ^^

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello Rob,

welcome to the forum!

A very interesting letter. But I don't quite understand it.
    The prussian taxes are written as usual by unpaid letters, see my letter of this period in post #1. There is also a russian tax of 118 kopeks on the back. Both is correct for unpaid letters. Are you sure the stamps belong to the letter?

Michael

• Hello Michael,

Yes, the stamps belong. However, they underpaid the double rate amount. As such, it was treated as completely unpaid and collected at the point of delivery. That explains the due amounts.

Cover has been expertized and in other known collections, so has good provenance as well. It is a part of a well known correspondence with other items showing some similar characteristics.

The black Portland marking indicates that the US exchange office was aware of the underpayment and let the overseas offices know to collect for postage.
    The tax is actually 112 kopecks, look at how the tail end of the numeral at the top end is finished - written backwards from an 8. And, 112 kopecks would have been the correct charge, as I understand it.

I am glad you said something so I could be sure to explain it further. :)

Rob

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello Rob,

thank you for the commentary.
    I don't know the american postal instructions. There is no note about the insufficient prepaid tax or the double rate of weight (the blue note is prussian in my opinion). Was it usual?

Zitat

And, 112 kopecks would have been the correct charge, as I understand it.

The 28 Silbergroschen are equal to 84 kopeks. With the double rate of 20 kopeks for the russian postal rate results 104 kopeks. How does one get 112 kopeks?

Michael

• Hallo Michael,

The blue notes are Prussian notes, I agree with you.
    2f - zweifach (double rate)
    24/4 (silbergroschen)

24 sgr - international

4 sgr - internal

The 112 kopecks must include the Russian surface mail as well. thus 112 kopecks.

I will try to find my notes on this so I can give more detail. but, it might be a while before I can do it.

Most U.S. Conventions during the 1860's had the stipulation that any mail that is short paid should be treated as unpaid. Any postage on the envelope would then be useless and not counted. that is what happened with this cover. They paid a single letter rate, but it weighed more than 1/2 ounce, so it was treated as unpaid.
    Some conventions had two rates, one for prepaid and one for unpaid. But, on the US side, most were the same rate. Exception would be Prussian convention where it was 28 cents US paid and 30 cents US unpaid to German-Austrian Postal Union. Without my notes, I do not recall if Russia's rate would differ paid/unpaid.

Thank you for the conversation, I enjoy it.
    Rob